Nov 9, 2011

Unexpected Friends

Friends may enter our lives at the most surprising times.

A friend need not be someone with whom you spend a lot of time. It may simply be a stranger whom God sends to meet a need for the moment.


Some friends will fulfill a brief purpose in your life and others will stay forever.

In our early years my husband, sons and I lived in a row of townhouses where we knew our neighbours by sight but not in a personal way.

I knew of Carol a few doors over but never tried to make her acquaintance - she worked nights as a cocktail waitress and I worked by day as an on call teacher.

One day while shopping in the dairy aisle of our local grocers, I noticed Carol standing nearby. I don't think she saw me and I was in a big hurry to get on with my chores. To be polite, however, I asked how she was doing.

But my mind raced ahead to the next errand.

"Actually, I am not doing very well," my neighbour said. "Last week I fell down the stairs and had a miscarriage."

Oh no! My heart cried out for her. I understood the grief of a miscarriage.

This encounter led to a casserole dinner, many cups of tea, life-altering conversations, prayers for healing, and a valued friendship.

When we moved to another province and I became critically ill, Carol wrote a tender poem and made a special trip to visit me in hospital. Through many moves and years, we have lost contact but our friendship remains a great blessing to me.

Many times I have been surprised by the different kinds of people who became my friends - but none as much as my brother Ken's best friend, Ron.

At twenty one I felt it was my duty to guide my younger sibling, so I told him I did not think Ron was a suitable buddy for him. He was loud, arrogant and liked to party. Ken turned the tables on me and challenged me to trust his judgement. "Make the effort to get to know my friend. "

"Alright," I sighed. "I will try." Anything for a brother.

Ken's friend and I took long walks and made frequent visits to the A&W. We all have certain expectations of how others should behave and live their lives. I discovered Ron was a person who did not let others squeeze him into their mould, mine included. I admired him for his strength of character.

When Ron left for an out of town job, he gave me his birthstone ring as a sign of respect and friendship. I felt honoured. Now my brother and I had a friend in common.

During Ron's absence he sent me thoughtful cards and letters. When he returned I discovered something unexpected. I missed his company and never wanted to be apart from him again.

The following year we married and today, 42 years later, I am still enjoying the company of the best friend a woman could wish for in a marriage.

Ron and I agree that it is our common commitment to God's leadership in our lives that makes it possible to remain devoted friends.

We pray for one another, stand up for one another, laugh at each others silly jokes, bring out the best in each other, and during the times we fail to do that, we depend on God to give us patience and kindness to get back on track.

Yes, God sends unexpected friends at the most surprising times. Some meet our need for laughter and recreation, others for comfort and support. But the best friend He has ever offered us is Himself. God is a forever friend who will never leave us nor forsake us. Through all seasons, He stands by to be dearer to us than the best friend on earth. When we give Him first place, he makes all our friendships go better.

A friend loves at all times.
Proverbs 17:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at A Woman's Walk, we are excited to talk about this life's journey and hearing from you as you travel yours!