Oct 10, 2011

Waves of Life

We ladies sit in our chairs, looking cool in matching hot pink tops.

At first glance one might think we are lounging at a spa, however, luxury is not our goal today. Each lady awaits her routine or first-time mammogram and ultra sound. Magazines and novels occupy our hands and minds, creating an illusion of indifference although we all probably feel some level of apprehension.

I recall the message I read earlier this day in my book of daily reflections. Peter, the spontaneous follower of Jesus, practically falls out of the boat in his eagerness to follow Jesus across the sea. But he panics when he remembers the waves around him. I can relate to Peter's panic. The waves distract me, too.

The book's author cautions the reader not to measure the waves, but to focus, instead on the light from Jesus himself shining across dark waters.

Think of it like this, have you ever noticed how the light looks when a full moon reflects on a river, a lake or an ocean?

It creates a shimmeringg path that holds you breathless. I have often stood at my window in the early hours after midnight to witness this same beauty.

On this morning as I am sitting in the breast cancer clinic, that image speaks something new to me. I must keep on following the light of God's love that reflects radiant across the waves of my life, calling me to entrust the outcomes to Him.

The height of the waves are not my concern. Let my heart trust God for that. My job is to follow Him with one step in front of the other.

A technician calls my name. She is warm and gentle as she turns my body to fit the machine and even though the squeezing and prodding can be uncomfortable, we laugh together at the absurd lengths we must go to get a good picture.

After another wait, the oncologist calls me into her office. She has good news. I have passed the test! Since a radical mastectomy twelve years ago, I have no further signs of cancer.

I am grateful for the One who holds me close and knows what lies ahead. With His help I can rest assured that whatever challenges may come next, I can safely follow Him across the waves of my life.

Waves will arise in all our lives.

Tell Jesus about the difficulties you face and let Him walk this path with you. Don't let fear distract you from your reality - the reliable love of the Lord. He is not afraid of anything. Accept the hand He offers and let your heart take courage.

Be of good cheer, it is I, do not be afraid.
Matthew 14:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at A Woman's Walk, we are excited to talk about this life's journey and hearing from you as you travel yours!