Aug 29, 2011

"Bigger"

As a parent, I’ve learned many lessons from my four children. I think there is a lot we can all learn from kids of all shapes and sizes—those who speak clearly and those who can't...
"If you love [only] those who love you, what credit is that to you?”
(Luke 6:32a, The Bible)

"BIGGER"

Jacob stands at the school doors peering out at the playground. His classmates play on the gleaming blue and yellow climbing equipment. Jacob looks right; then left. He doesn't see anyone. Maybe he can make it.

Five steps from the doorway Tyler and his gang jumped in front of him. They must have been hiding around the corner. Oh, no. He groaned.

He’d sat next to Tyler his first day on the bus. Things were fine until he opened his mouth. Jacob had a speech impediment, and Tyler had laughed. “You sound like a baby!” he said. He’d been picking on Jacob ever since.

“Hello, Jakey,” Tyler jeers, as his friends jostle each other. “Did your mommy remember to put your diaper on this morning? Wouldn't want you to have an accident!”

“I don't weah diapahs, Tylah!” Jacob clenched his fists. Angry tears pooled in his eyes. .

“He doesn't weah diapahs. Did you hear that guys?” The fifth-grade boys snicker. “Maybe you should stay home until you're bigger, Jacob. You should be in play school, not grade one!”

Jacob hangs his head. He swipes tears away with his jacket sleeve and stomps back to the school doors. Tyler and his crew saunter away, laughing and slapping each other's backs.

Jacob watches everyone play as he huddles by the doors. Maybe I should be like David and use my slingshot. That would shut him up! All afternoon, Jacob tried to think of ways he could get Tyler to stop being so mean.

The next day, school opens with prayer requests. “Can you pray for my brother Tyler?” Ricky asked. “He got hit by a car. He’s in the hospital with a broken leg and he’s waiting to have an operation.” Jacob was shocked.

His thoughts play tug-of-war the whole day: Did I make Tyler get hurt just by wishing it? Should I be happy or sad? What should I do? The day takes forever to end.

When Jacob gets home, he slams the front door. He called, “Mom? Mom, wheyah ah you? I have to go to the hospital! Tylah is theyah. I need to see him.”

“I thought Tyler was the one who's been bullying you.”

“He is. That doesn't mean I don't want to see him. I want to do the 'do to others' thing. Can I, Mom?”

Mom's forehead wrinkles. "I'll take you after supper. Can you wait until then?”

Taking a deep breath of the garlic-laced air, Jacobs sighs. “Okay.”

Later that evening, Jacob shuffles into Tyler's hospital room. The first thing he sees are Tyler's feet. “Hi, Tylah. Look how puhple youah toes ah!”

“Jakey?” Tyler squeaks, “I mean, Jacob? What are you doing here?” He paused. “Did you come to say you’re glad I'm in the hospital?”

“No! I wanted you to stop being mean, not get huht. I hope youah leg gets bettah soon.”

“Thanks, Jacob. Uh--I should be back at school next week, but I think I'll be in a cast for a while.”

“I hope it's off befoah summah. You'll get a funny tan if it isn't!”

“I know,” Tyler says, chuckling. “Hey, it looks like your mom is ready to leave. I...um...I guess I'll see you at school.”

Smiling hugely, Jacob high-fives Tyler and skips out of the room. He may only be six, but he sure feels bigger!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at A Woman's Walk, we are excited to talk about this life's journey and hearing from you as you travel yours!